This section of the website is designed for clients and community members to get more information about legal problems and other community resources in DC. Links do not constitute legal advice from NLSP.
General Legal Resources and Fact Sheets:
- For more information about legal problems: http://www.lawhelp.org/dc
- DC Bar Legal Information Helpline: (202) 626-3499 or (202) 626-3492
Representing Yourself? (Pro Se). Follow the link for self-help clinics and resources.
Links to other legal services providers in the D.C. area.
To talk to a mental health counselor and get referral to services call DC’s 24/7 Access HelpLine:1-888-793-4357
Community Resource Maps
Headquarters/ Ward 5 Resource Map
Polk StreetOffice/ Ward 7 Resource Map
Southeast Office/ Ward 8 Resource Map
- Facing Eviction if you don’t find the money to pay your rent? Contact the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). ERAP serves low-income District households with children, elderly households (age 60 or older) and people with disabilities.
- Washington D.C. Tenant Survival Guide
- A Housing Guide for Reentering Women in DC
- Legal Resources for Family Law
- Interactive tools for filling out common family law court forms
- General information about custody in D.C.
- Bankruptcy Fact Sheets
- Foreclosure Fact Sheets
- Student Loans Fact Sheets
- Dealing with Debt resources from the Federal Trade Commission
- Identity Theft information from the Federal Trade Commission
- Fact sheets
- My Sister’s Place offers a confidential 24-Hour hotline: (202) 529-5991.
- House of Ruth provides a 24-hour shelter/safe place for battered women and their children with support groups and other resources for recovery. Their number is 202-667-7001. Location: 5 Thomas Circle, NW, Washington, DC 20005.
- Fact sheets on unemployment insurance, wage and hour issues, discrimination, worker's compensation and Family and Medical Leave
Job Placement and Training Programs
- Jubilee Jobs
- Greater Washington Urban League Career Center
- Potomac Job Corps Center
- SOME Center for Employment Training
- On-the-Job Training Program, District Department of Transportation
- Registered Apprentice Program
- Community Services Agency: Building Futures Apprenticeship Outreach & Recruitment Project
- GEICO Auto Damage Trainee Program