If you don't see your question answered here, call 202-832-6577 or fill out our contact form.

How do I make an appointment?
We have intake for new clients on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 am to 3 pm. No appointment is necessary to apply for services. Call 202-832-6577 to talk to one of our intake specialists or come to one of our offices during intake hours.

What are the charges for your services?
If you qualify, we will represent you pro bono, meaning there is no cost for our services.

What kinds of cases do you take? Will you represent me?
Most of the cases we take involve tenant's rights, family matters, domestic violence, public benefits, health care, or debt issues. We do not take criminal cases, and we have income limits for the people we serve. We have limited resources, so not all of the people who apply will be represented by us.

Why do you need to know my household income?
Our funders include the federal Legal Services Corporation, which sets income guidelines for clients. We provide free legal services to people whose income falls under 125% and 200% of the Federal Poverty guidelines. Learn more about eligibility or call 202-832-NLSP for help.

How quickly can you help me? This is urgent ! ! !
To be accepted for services, you can call 202-832-NLSP during our intake hours, Monday Wednesday and Friday from 10 am- 3 pm. If you are accepted for our services, an attorney from our Brief Services Unit will usually call you back the same day. If the attorneys are busy, it may take between 24 - 48 hours.

I’m coming in to meet with an attorney, what should I bring?
The most important thing is to bring any documents that relate to your case. Clients often forget to bring important papers relating to their case, and this can make it difficult or impossible for us to fully evaluate your case. When in doubt, it's better to bring more papers.

Is your office wheelchair accessible?
Yes. All of our offices are wheelchair accessible.

Do you handle criminal cases?
No, we do not handle criminal cases. Contact the Public Defender Service
However, we may be able to help with sealing/ expungement of criminal records as part of our barriers to employment practice.

A member of my family died. Will you help me figure out how to distribute the estate?
At NLSP we do not handle probate affairs, such as when a family member dies. The D.C. Bar runs a Probate Resource Center, which is located in Room 319 in Building A of the Superior Court, 515 5th Street NW (Judiciary Square Metro). The Center is open to the public on Tuesday afternoons from 12:30 to 4:30 pm.
If your questions aren’t answered there, you may be able to see a lawyer at the Advice and Referral Clinic, which is held on the second Saturday of the month from 10 am to 12 pm. More information about that clinic can be found here.

Do you handle bankruptcy matters?
No, we do not have a bankruptcy specialist in our office.
If you would like free legal advice from an attorney regarding your bankruptcy matter, attend the D.C. Bar’s Advice and Referral Clinic, held on the second Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Do you help landlords?

Because our goal is to preserve housing for low-income residents, NLSP does not represent or provide advice/legal services to landlords.
You may be able to find more information about your problem here.
You can also use the DC Landlord Tenant Resource Center.
Location: 510 4th Street, N.W. Room 115 Washington, DC 20001
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:15 a.m. to 12 p.m

I am in Northern Virginia/ Maryland. Can you help me?

NLSP primarily serves DC residents. If your problem is in the District, call us at 202-832-6577. See also Legal services providers in Northern Virginia, Legal services providers in Maryland.